Thursday, July 25, 2013

My Healthy Shopping List!

I remember going to the grocery store for the first time after I started my summer health journey. I felt like a lost child at Disneyworld.

Where do I go? What do I buy? What is healthy? What isn't?

This is healthy! And also yummy :)

Shifting to a healthier lifestyle is, without a doubt, scary, confusing, and frustrating. So, to help y'all out, I'd like to share with you a healthy shopping list. I think this list could be beneficial to first time dieters or anybody who would like to start eating better!

Without further ado, here it is:

Produce:
  • Celery
  • Lettuce
  • Broccoli
  • Mushrooms
  • Apples
  • Bananas (Get a gigantic bunch!)
  • In-season fruits (Peaches, berries!)
  • Grapes
  • Cuties/Clementines
  • Tomato sauce (My fave is Classico tomato basil)
Meat:
  • Deli meat: Turkey or chicken (For sandwiches)
  • Chicken breasts
  • Any kind of fish you like! (Salmon, sole, anything you please)
  • Frozen shrimp
  • Ground turkey, if you're into that sort of thing. (Not a huge ground meat person. Or meat person in general. But if you are, this stuff is good and good for ya!)
Dairy/refrigerated:
  • Eggs
  • 2% shredded cheese
  • Babybel light/Laughing Cow (cause I can't live without cheese!)
  • Yogurt (Greek is healthiest, if you're into that sort of thing.)
  • Almond milk/Skim milk (I dare you to try almond milk. Not as bad as I thought it'd be! I get Silk unsweetened vanilla)
Snacks:
  • Hummus (The garlic flavor is my personal favorite)
  • Nut-thins crackers (I recommend almond or hazelnut!) or low fat Triscuits
  • Quaker caramel rice cakes
  • Jif reduced fat peanut butter (A must have)
  • Reduced fat graham crackers
  • Popcorn
  • Applesauce! Get the all-natural kind.
  • Nuts (Almonds/pistachios/whatever you love)
  • Hershey's dark chocolate kisses (cause we all need something sweet sometimes!)
  • Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (I like cookies and cream!)
  • Weight Watchers toffee ice cream bars (what can I say, I love ice cream.)
  • Protein powder (This may not be at your local store! I think my mom ordered our's online. I use a brand called Right Size and I like the Lean Cocoa Bean flavor.)
Grains:
  • Whole wheat bread
  • Whole wheat tortillas/pita pockets
  • Ronzoni pasta, whole wheat of course! (If you don't like whole wheat pasta, try Ronzoni's high fiber kind. Tastes identical to other boxed pastas.)
  • Honey Nut Cheerios medley cereal (YUM)
  • Peanut butter multigrain Cheerios (YUM) 
  • Oatmeal (I like maple and brown sugar & apples and cinnamon!)
I think that's it! Well, I'm sure I forgot something important, but that's all I've got for now. Hopefully this list can help you feel a bit more confident about healthy eating (and shopping)!

-Ellen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment